8.14.2012

Chamsys visualizer - quick review

This is a quick draft review (from my phone) of the Chamsys MagicVis Visualizer.  Sorry, no pics yet.

As you will probably relize after reading through a few of my posts that I am a big fan of Chamsys.

Recently Chamsys released a beta version of it's long awaited Visualizer.

What this means for those of you in the chamsys world is that you can setup your rig in 3d and start programming.  Once you get into your venue, all you need to do is tweak your position palettes.

For portable churches,  this means you can program your services during the week without setting up any gear.... roll into your venue and tweak your programming.  Chamsys is free and MagicVis is free as well.  Their dongles (needed to output dmx to your fixtures) start at $20 so there is no excuse for bad portable church programming. 

Go to their site and download their beta.

Its definitely a beta... for some reason on both my machines,  the Visualizer opens up on a second monitor, even if you don't have one connected to your computer.

I connected my TV to my laptop and opened up my last show.   (6 cybers, 6 studio colors, 12 LEDS).  Moving fixtures on the spreadsheet view is actully not a pain.

Weird thing...The beams from the lights aren't that bright, even putting the room in "dark mode" doesn't make the virtual beams "pop".  White is fine, but don't try to use red or Congo.

I don't  believe the room size is editable (yet).   In my little experiment, the room got crowded with just 24 fixtures.

Also, its a processor happy,  so don't expect to get great results on a $300 laptop.

Overall, the experience with the beta has been pretty awesome.  I am looking forward to this really developing into something I will heavily rely on.

I only have one pic at the moment from my initial "tinkerings" with MagicVis from my phone's camera.

Stay tuned... I will pretty this blog up.


No comments: